24.2 C
New York
Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Steven Gerrard agrees two-year contract extension at Al Ettifaq

Steven Gerrard has agreed a two-year contract extension as head coach of Al Ettifaq.

The hierarchy will continue its commitment to provide the 43-year-old funds to sign players and develop the club.

Gerrard’s new deal will see him tied down until 2027.

He joined the Saudi Pro League club in July 2023 but has so far struggled for consistency, with Al Ettifaq winless in their last eight matches.

The former Liverpool player moved to Saudi Arabia after being sacked by Premier League side Aston Villa in October 2022.

Prior to managing Villa, Gerrard had a three-year spell in charge of Rangers, who he led to the Scottish Premiership title in 2020-21.

He had initially turned down an approach to manage Al Ettifaq but went on to become their head coach.

On June 5 last year, Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Sport declared that the country’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) would assume control of four teams in the Saudi Pro League.

PIF, who hold an 80 per cent stake in the Premier League side Newcastle United, control 75 per cent of Al Ittihad, Al Ahli, Al Hilal and Al Nassr, while the remaining 25 per cent is controlled by a non-profit organisation.

Al Ettifaq, situated in the city of Dammam, is not among the four teams.

Gerrard’s side are currently eighth in the Saudi Pro League table.

As revealed by The Athletic, one of Gerrard’s star signings, Jordan Henderson, is on the verge of leaving for Ajax after just six months at the club.

(Yasser Bakhsh/Getty Images)



Read the full article here

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Articles