Joao Cancelo allegedly blocked a number of Manchester City fan pages on Twitter ahead of his loan move to Bayern Munich.
However, despite going through what could be a bitter end to his time at the Etihad, the Portuguese ace posted a heartfelt farewell message on his Instagram.
On Monday, several Man City fan accounts with large followings said they have been blocked by the defender on Twitter and Instagram.
“Update: Joao Cancelo has blocked us on Instagram,” @mcfc_lads with almost 130,000 followers posted.
The Portugal international had fallen out of favour under boss Pep Guardiola in recent weeks after being an unused substitute in the last three games.
Despite earning himself the reputation of being one of the league’s best players and signing a new contract under a year ago, Cancelo has found himself behind Nathan Ake and Rico Lewis in the pecking order.
The 28-year-old has made 154 appearances for Man City after signing in 2019 and has won two Premier League titles and two League Cups.
On Tuesday, Man City then confirmed the loan deal had been signed.
Arsenal agree £12m Jorginho deal, Chelsea eye record Fernandez move, Cancelo joins Bayern
Chelsea signed forward who spent eight hours completing Spurs medical in brutal lesson
Man United had beaten Arsenal to deal but then Real Madrid ruined everything with one call
FA Cup fifth round draw: Date, time, ball numbers and talkSPORT coverage
Arsenal fan Woods captures moment she ruined O’Hara’s day with Spurs transfer news
Sean Dyche confirmed as next Everton manager as he succeeds Frank Lampard at Goodison Park
In what could be interpreted as a rather blunt statement, it read: “Joao Cancelo has joined Bayern Munich on loan until the end of the season,” a statement on the club’s website said.
“The 28-year-old joined City from Juventus in 2019, following spells in Spain and his native Portugal.
“The Portuguese has now moved to Germany to join the Bundesliga outfit for the remainder of the 2022/23 campaign.”
talkSPORT understands the deal includes an option to buy worth £61.5million.
And despite blocking the fan accounts, Cancelo gave a heartfelt farewell on his Instagram, seemingly suggesting this may be the end of his Man City career.
“Once a Cityzen, always a Cityzen. Thank you #mommybless me,” he wrote, alongside a video montage of his time at the Etihad.
Read the full article here