It was not lost on many people that Neymar did not attend the funeral of footballing legend Pele on Monday.
Pele is regarded by many as the greatest player to ever play the game and it was a very sad day when he passed away at the age of 82.
A 24-hour public wake was held at the stadium of Santos, the club where he played for the majority of his career and scored so many goals.
Hundreds of people, some from other Brazilian cities, lined up early in the morning outside the Vila Belmiro stadium, and even Gianni Infantino, the FIFA president, travelled to Brazil.
The same cannot be said of current Brazil star Neymar, who is also a product of the Santos youth academy and became a star there before moving to Barcelona.
Instead, his father was present to essentially be his representative. TNT Brazil reported that the forward was not released by PSG to go to the funeral in Brazil, which is a highly controversial move.
Other sources claim that it was the player himself who decided that it was not a good time to travel to Brazil.
Le Parisien for its part stated that « as we told you last week, the Parisian club is counting on its player for the next games, while the calendar for the start of the year 2023 looks particularly busy. An express trip to Brazil at this stage of the season would not have been appropriate given the string of matches that await PSG in January, » it reported.
Read the full article here