Kylian Mbappe, the man who turned down a move to Real Madrid last summer, could face the Spanish side in the last 16 of the Champions League.
Although PSG came out as 2-1 winners over Juventus, the Parisian side finished second in Group H due to the seventh tiebreaker criteria and will face one of the group leaders in the round of 16 as a result.
PSG looked all but certain to finish top of the group with their 2-1 win over Juventus.
The only way for them to be runners-up with that scoreline and less than 10 minutes to go was if Benfica somehow managed to beat Maccabi Haifa 6-1 away from home.
As late as the 87th minute of that match, the Portuguese side were ahead 4-1, but then in the 88th and 92nd minute, Henrique Araujo and Joao Mario scored the goals that left PSG stunned and in second place.
What happened in Group H of the Champions League is something that is almost never seen, until today. After six matches, each club won four and drew two, with 16 goals for, seven against and a goal difference of +9.
They both finished with 14 points, and in the games between the two clubs, they drew 1-1 in both France and Portugal, meaning the group was decided by the seventh tiebreaking criteria.
- Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
- Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
- Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
- If, after having applied criteria 1) to 3), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1) to 3) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5) to 11) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal;
- Superior goal difference in all group matches;
- Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
- Higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
- Higher number of wins in all group matches;
- Higher number of away wins in all group matches;
- Lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received by players and team officials in all group matches
- UEFA club coefficient
The seventh tiebreaker criteria decided the group
Thus, thanks to the nine away goals scored by Benfica in the group stage, to PSG’s six, it is the Portuguese team that finishes top of Group H and will be in the seeded group, while PSG will be in the unseeded
It means PSG and Mbappe, the player who rejected Real Madrid a few months ago, could meet in the round of 16 of the tournament that will resume in February.
Read the full article here